Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Bra Contains NO Metal, but My Shorts Do...



One thing I learned a long time ago...If (and when) you become a patient, whether it be for a yearly exam, or test, or for a chronic condition, become proactive, educate yourself on your condition, pay attention to your body's signals, and use COMMON SENSE!  


I went for a bone-density exam this morning.  My appointment was for 9:00 A.M. and I arrived 8:45.  Unfortunately for me, the heavy-framed woman who marched into the office at 9:2o, coffee in hand and huffing and puffing, was the technician who was going to perform my test...lol...if it were just her tardiness combined with my arriving 15 minutes early and resulting in a 45-minute wait, I wouldn't even be writing this post, but luckily for me and YOU, I can elaborate further on why you're even reading this!


Upon my entering the test room at her request at 9:30, she hurried into a corner of the room where she had to enter my data first before she could begin the test.  From her blocked-off corner, she instructed me to..."strip from the waist up and put on a gown".  "from the waist up?"  I asked.


"Yes, from waist up...bras have metal in them"  she emphatically explained.  So her first mistake...instead of ASKING me if I was wearing any metal jewelry or if my "bra" had metal closures, etc...she just assumed.  I told her that I was wearing an all-fabric, stretch sports bra (now you all know, too), and that it had NO metal in it.  


"Fine", she said.  "Leave everything on and wear the gown on top".  Second mistake...I, the patient, had to inform her, the technician, that - my khaki shorts have a metal zipper.  At that point, instead of asking her any other questions, I just used my common sense.  "I'm taking off the shorts...they have a metal zipper", I told her. 


"Fine, yes...no metal", she said.  Once the test began, we got along swimmingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment