Monday, June 25, 2012

Taking These Morning, and Night = Life! Where Do I Sign Up?



Oh...wait, I'm already signed up!  Yes!  If anyone reading my posts has already had a kidney transplant, or any other kind of transplant, then you know that you will take medications for the rest of your life.  Take them, on schedule, every day and you greatly improve your chance of living!  Not a bad trade-off, I'd say.  This also holds true for anyone living with a chronic condition and taking daily medications.


Meet my cast of characters (pills) that keep me healthy and alive (see pic)...right eye, left eye and brown pupil are blood pressure meds...my docs like to keep my pressure especially low as not to damage my one and only functioning transplanted kidney;  upper and lower lips are the immunosuppressants.  My immune system has to be slightly suppressed because if it stayed at a normal level, it would consider my transplanted kidney a "foreign object" and  attack it;  the nose is a cholesterol lowering pill...one of the side-effects of the immunosuppressants is that they can increase cholesterol.  


Sure, each and every pill has its own side-effect.  Your doctor may have explained them to you, or you may have been reading those 3-page inserts your pharmacist, by law, must throw into the bag when you pick up your meds, or, WORSE yet...you may have looked up each pill you take, on-line.  If you're like me, and looked them up on line, you've probably scrolled down to the "Side Effects" section and checked off each one while you took mental notes that...that headache and nausea you had two nights ago MUST have been caused by the Prograf (immunosuppressant).  Of course, the Whopper washed down with the m.s.g.- laden hot & sour soup, couldn't have had anything to do with it!  Ha! 


Fact is, I experienced some moderate temple pain from time to time during the first couple of years after my transplant in January, 2006, which fell under the category of "neurological".  Nowadays I'm basically side-effect free, except for the occasional dizziness and tiredness.  Heck, I know people, younger than me, without medical problems who complain about being tired and dizzy!  


If you're having side-effects from your meds that are interfereing with your life, by all means tell your doc so that he/she can possibly change the dosage or substitute that particular med with another. 


I gladly take my meds every day, twice a day because I love life and have a lot to live for.  Remember, all meds are definitely best taken - with a positive outlook.  


Soon to be posted about...why my kidneys failed in the first place, and the horror that was "dialysis" a/k/a 7+ years in hell...so stay tuned...lol


Feel free to comment on your experience or ask a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment