Monday, July 16, 2012

My Dermatologist Thinks I Kick Cans

So I went to my usual dermatologist today in Astoria, Queens (New York City) for a routine exam, as well as for him to take a look at a slight rash on one ankle.


Back in the early 90's, a friend of mine used to clean his office and she knew him well.  He was known as the "crazy Greek" because he wore his hair as if he had his hand in an electrical socket, kind of like Einstein, and he would always rant at his secretaries.  He was an excellent dermatologist, though.  


It seems that, unfortunately, he's losing his edge, or he's been at his job too long.  Without an ounce of humor or a hint of a smile, he urged me...NOT to wear sandals in the summer because New York City is very dirty and filled with germs, and that, because I take immunosuppressants, if I cut myself while "kicking cans" I could get a bad infection.


Really?  Kicking cans?  Did he think I was 8?  This is the same dermatologist who once told me not to use the gift-card my son gave me for a Mani-Pedi because nail salons are breeding grounds for fungi and bacteria, and most likely I would become infected.


He needs to take a refresher course in positivity, and how to make patients feel at ease, and not fill them with paranoia about everyday activities.


I worked for an Ophthalmologist who once sarcastically mentioned that...all dermatologists do is - make wet things dry, and make dry things wet...hahaha, I thought this was very amusing at the time.

Now I have to look for a new dermatologist because it seems this one is quite sick of making wet things dry and making dry things - wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment