Saturday, July 7, 2012

Quick, Delicious, Chicken & Pasta


This is one of my favorite "go to" recipes...I recommend using chicken breast pieces that have been marinated over-night.  It enriches the flavor of the entire dish.  I marinate mine in olive oil, chopped garlic, fresh black pepper, and some red pepper flakes.  You can use any herbs and spices you like, of course.  


Marinated Chicken Breast Pieces

I heat up some olive oil and saute the chicken in it over medium heat.  Brown lightly on one side then turn.  When the pieces are brown-side up, I add half a cut-up red bell pepper, one scallion, and quarter diced vidalia onion (because I had it already diced and in the fridge from a previous recipe...lol)  I also added some cilantro because, again, that's what I had on hand.


(Boil up some pasta of your choice while or before all of the above...lol)  I used thin linguine.  This recipe is also great over rice.  The choice is always yours.


While all this is simmering away nicely, I added one packet Herb-ox Chicken Bouillon which I first dissolved in some of the pasta water and then added to the simmering chicken.  I used the regular one, not the low-sodium one...why?  Well, I didn't add any salt to the marinade, or the pasta water, or anywhere else, and this recipe feeds around 3 people, so it'll be o.k.


Keep simmering on low heat now for around 10 or 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and soft to your liking.


Instead of draining the pasta and adding it to the chicken medley, I use a pasta fork to transfer the pasta.  Also, I add the pasta to the chicken when the pasta is still a bit under-cooked.  That way, not only will it continue to cook (under low heat) along with the chicken, but the pasta will absorb all of the great flavors of the chicken and everything else in the pan.


Chicken Medley simmering with Pasta




You will see, after you add the pasta, if it seems to0 dry or not.  If it seems too dry, add more of the pasta water as you go.  Keep simmering on low until the pasta is cooked to your liking.  In this particular dish, I like the pasta cooked all the way.


The last thing you have to do is Eat!  The first bites taken right out of the pan when it's  just about done are the best!  Don't burn your tongue like I did...LOL.  


I welcome any questions or comments...If you made this dish or anything similar to it, I'd love to read about it!





2 comments:

  1. all the food stuff that you post always sound so good. I wish i ate healthier stuff like you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Rhonda, I try to eat healthy all the time but it's hard...I fail at it sometimes and eat things I shouldn't. Thanks for the lovely comment! : )

      Delete