Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Searching For Mrs. Beasley

Me and My Mrs. Beasley Doll


This is me and my Mrs. Beasley Doll.  I must have been around 6 or 7 years old at the time.  This photo was taken in our living room at 31 Oliver Street, New York City, NY, before the fire of 1971.   The window behind me is the actual window a fireman pulled me through to save me, when the building was on fire. (See my previous posts, Tenement Life, Parts 1 and 2).


She was my favorite doll and was supposed to portray an old woman.  Nanny?  Teacher?  I'm not sure.  Mrs. Beasley was seen on the television series of the mid 60's - Family Affair - about a single dad raising three kids with the help of a butler.  Butler?  Wow, weird now thinking back...lol.  Mrs. Beasley was the doll of the character "Buffy", the little girl.  She had a twin brother, "Jody" and an older teenage sister, "Cissy". 
Family Affair




Mrs. Beasley said 11 phrases when you pulled her string.  They were:

1.  "Long ago, I was a little girl, just like you"
2.  "You can call me Mrs. Beasley, would you like to play?"
3.  "Do you want to hear a secret? I know one"
4.  "If you were a little smaller, I could rock you to sleep"
5.  "It would be such fun to play jump rope...don't you think?"
6.  "Would you like to try on my glasses, you may if you wish"
7.  "I do think you're the nicest little friend I ever had"
8.  "Speak a little louder dear, so Mrs. Beasley can hear you"
9.  "Do you want to play?"
10. "Gracious me, you're getting to be such a big girl!"
11. "If you could have three wishes, what would you wish for?"

Mrs. Beasley was left alone in the apartment during the fire.  Some days later, as far as I can remember, we were allowed back in our apartment to see if we could salvage anything.  I guess this was because the fire originated on the top floors and we lived on the second floor.  There was a lot of water damage to everything in the apartment, and the smell of damp stuff combined with the smell of stale smoke, was more than my little mind could take.


Mrs. Beasley lay in a corner, damp, smelly and smashed.  Her glasses were nowhere to be found.  Although my grandmother said she could wash it, I left her there and sobbed.


Now I want another Mrs. Beasley doll.  I've been looking on E-Bay and they have quite a few.  For some reason, none of the ones I've looked at have any glasses!  A vintage Mrs. Beasley Doll runs for around $100, so I'm pretty sure I'll have a replacement Mrs. Beasley soon.  Heck, it only took me 40+ years!


If you stay tuned and look at my posts regularly, you will see a new photo of me with my new vintage Mrs. Beasley!  I'll try to get my hair up the same way it was in the 60's photo.  I make no guarantee of wearing a purple blouse with a very large tulip, though!  : )


Although I've been through some pretty rough things in this life, I still consider myself one of the lucky ones.  As for "Buffy", played by actress Anissa Jones, she passed away at age 18 in 1976,  from a drug overdose.
"Buffy" played by Anissa Jones, with Mrs. Beasley

Rest in beautiful peace, dear Anissa.  Thank you for the memories.  I hope you have a brand new Mrs. Beasley Doll keeping you safe and warm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment