Friday, August 10, 2012

Cooking Roasted Broccoli and Listening to Music

Chillin at home tonight...just listening to music (70's, Classic R&B, Classic Rock, or Current Hits...just as long as it's GOOD music!), and cooking something.  I really, really wasn't in the mood for meat tonight, so I made Roasted Broccoli and Tomato with Crunchy Almonds and Melted Cheddar Cheese, which I put over tri-color spaghetti (Ronzoni makes it - carrot, spinach, tomato - pasta blend).

I first saw this recipe made for the kids I volunteer with, at the "Snacktivities" program through New York Cares.  I was kind of surprised how much they loved it, and some even asked for seconds!  It felt good to see kids eating such healthy food.  So here's how I made it...
A.  I washed, trimmed, dried, and cut up fresh broccoli and put it in a pan.  I combined the broccoli with diced tomato, one clove of grated garlic, olive oil, and fresh ground black pepper.  I also added a bit of red pepper flakes for a little zing.  This all goes in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes or until a knife goes easily into the broccoli.  The broccoli will be a little brown also at that point...Yum.
B.  I took the pan out, gave it a stir, and added chopped almonds and shredded cheddar cheese on top...back into the oven for another 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  I use Cabot's 50% Reduced Fat, Sharp Cheddar Cheese.  It's delicious and you won't notice the other 50% missing!  Cabot's cheese has no growth hormones and is gluten free, lactose free, and is Kosher.  

The broccoli and tomato take on a sweet, caramelized flavor when roasted which I think is yummy.  Combined with the slight nutty crunch of the almonds, and the melted cheesy gooey-ness of the cheese...Please believe me, it's good!

I hope you give it a try.  I would love to hear if you try this, or any other recipe I post on my blog...please feel free to comment or e-mail me.  Thanks, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. A great combination of heart-healthy ingredients that would make all of the kids come back for seconds! Kudos to you, Gina!

    ReplyDelete