Friday, September 14, 2012

Farewell, Elizabeth Mazarake!


Some of my Facebook connections may have read my posts the other night about my 100-year old neighbor, Elizabeth Mazarake, who died inside her apartment several days ago.  

She was a quiet woman who kept to herself, rarely went out, and was known to fly into rages if anyone sent by the City, attempted to gain access into her apartment to see if she was able to live alone or not.  She did her own shopping, washed her own clothes, ate whatever she pleased (I witnessed many a Entenmann's Chocolate Frosted Cake and frozen pizza - poking up through her shopping bags...lol), and paid all her bills - on time!

I had heard the story, through other neighbors, the horrible story, that one day in 1994, as Elizabeth was going into the elevator in the lobby, a mugger followed her in, rode the elevator up with her, and beat and robbed her as she tried to get into her apartment.  

But what I just found out about her last night, is amazing!  After the mugging, Elizabeth took up, and achieved her black-belt in Karate when she was well into her 90's!  She was very loved by all the other students and teachers at the Karate school she attended.  She said that..."Karate helped put me back together".

None of her neighbors in the building, including myself, ever knew about her amazing achievement.  Sort of makes me want to re-take Tae Kwon Do, and get higher than a yellow belt this time...lol.  Then again, maybe not.
Elizabeth with a fellow student

CHECK THIS OUT!!
http://www.shotojuku.com/elizabeth.html

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating story about Ms. Mazarake. Thank you so much for sharing this, Gina! There is never a limit for learning. May she rest in peace!

    from, Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Mike! Thank YOU for reading it. We can do anything when we put our minds on it!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Gina. Elizabeth was an inspiration to me this year as I began my own martial arts journey in Queens. I never met her but heard about her via on her Dojo colleagues. She will forever be in our hearts as an example of how anything is possible. PS - Your blog is pretty inspirational too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome, Susan! Thank you, as well, for reading and commenting on my blog. I can only imagine what an inspiration Elizabeth must have been for you and others! She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete