Wednesday, September 5, 2012

To All the Dogs I've Loved Before

I grew up with dogs.  And each one added his or her own unique and lovely piece to the puzzle of my life.  The least I can do is dedicate a blog post to...all the dogs I've loved before.  Enjoy!


ME WITH LUCY
Dear Lucy:
You were my grandmother's dog, but I quickly grew to love you.  I remember playing with you, and how you used to watch me and my brother, Joe, when we used to play with spinning tops and board games.  The firemen rescued me, my brother, grandmother, and you, too, out of the fire at 31 Oliver Street.
(please read Tenement Life, Part 1) for background info on the fire):

http://www.positivelygina.blogspot.com/2012/06/tenement-life-part-1.html

The American Red Cross put us up in the President Hotel for a while, and we couldn't take you with us.  My grandmother said that she had to put you in a shelter.  I was so sad and lost without you in that strange hotel room, but my grandmother assured me that it was only until we found a real apartment.

Unfortunately, we received that dreaded call from the shelter while we were still at the hotel, that you had passed away.  You were the first dog that broke my heart.  Did you die from a broken heart in the shelter?  I think you did, and I'm so sorry that we had to be separated under such tragic circumstances.  Farewell, dear friend.
LUCY
**********************************************************************
ME WITH FRISKY...I was 10 or 11 years old.
Dear Frisky:
Thanks for your loving companionship and staying by my side through hard times.  You were the cutest puppy and had a unique black-colored nose.  You were better than any human friend I could ever find, and comforted me through the tears, and rejoiced with me when I was happy.  Lucky for you, I went through a tom-boy stage at this age, and often played with you by throwing a baseball or a football...yes, inside the apartment.  I hope you enjoyed your time on this earth with me.  Farewell, dear friend.
ME WITH FRISKY...I was around 13 years old.
  *************************************************************************
ME WITH RUSTY...I was 14 or 15 years old.
Dear Rusty:
My happy, playful puppy.  My grandmother got you for me when I started High School...or maybe my Sophomore year.  It was quite a sad time for me (yet another "sad" time) when my grandpa, Joseph passed away.  I think my grandmother thought she could replace "gramps" with you.  Well, Rusty, you did an excellent job in cheering me up!  I'm sorry for the times I was grouchy and maybe didn't want to play with you.  I was probably going through teenage stuff.  

I still feel guilty, to this day, for moving out of the apartment when I was around 19, and leaving you alone with my grandmother.  I know she took good care of you, but I'm sure you missed playing with me.  You died several years after I moved.  I still hope you enjoyed the time we had together.  I know I did.  Farewell, dear friend.
*************************************************************************
My son, Angelo with MooMoo, 1999
MOOMOO  1997-2006
Dear MooMoo:
Like Dorothy said to the Scarecrow... I think I'll miss you MOST of all!  I was handed pure love, in a fur-suit...that day on the streets of Astoria, NY, when a man approached me and had YOU in his arms.  He asked me if I wanted a pit bull puppy, and I said - Yes!

It was towards the end of 1997 and I had just begun dialysis.  You were so special to me, dear MooMoo, and the first dog I had since I was a teenager.  My son, Angelo was crazy about you, but you already knew how much he loved you.  We will always remember your charming personality, strong character, playfulness, and how much you loved stuffed animals.

Most of all, I will remember you as the dog who came into my life when I needed you most.  Strangely enough, you passed away three months after I received my transplant...almost as if to say..."Goodbye Mom, my work is done here."  You may be happy to learn I now have another pit bull...a little girl named Shadow.  I know if you were here, you'd love her.  Farewell, my dearest friend.



Me and Shadow

2 comments:

  1. Gina, that was so beautiful! If you'll excuse me I must wipe the tears from my eyes... You are so blessed!

    --Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mike...I had a few tears rolling myself. It really means a lot to me that you enjoy my posts. : )

      Delete