Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Red Peppers Stuffed with Rice and Red Beans

Yummy!
I made stuffed red peppers last night but wasn't able to post because Mr. Norton (a/k/a) Norton Anti-Virus, was giving me grief!  : )  All has been sorted out now.


Red Peppers which have been washed and cleaned out.
This is how I made the rice and red bean mixture which was stuffed into the peppers, then baked...

I minced up some Vidalia onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and cilantro, then sauteed everything in Olive Oil.  This was the base to which I added some already-cooked red beans and vegetable broth.  Then I cooked up some rice in this broth mixture.  When the rice was done, I let it cool a bit before stuffing into the peppers.  I brushed some more Olive Oil all over the outside of the peppers and popped them into the oven.  450 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.  

You will actually smell when they are ready!  Delish!  I like when the tops of the peppers are charred a bit!

I love making Stuffed Peppers because it's such a versatile recipe.  You can swap out or leave out any ingredient you want, basically.  In the past, I've added ground turkey to the rice, couscous instead of rice, and even made an Italian version by adding sweet Italian sausages to the rice, which I sauteed with onion, garlic, basil and tomato sauce.

I hope you try this recipe and use your imagination to make it your own!  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I always liked the taste of vidalia onions as they have a "zing" to them. The red bell peppers have a load of potassium, as well as Vitamins A and C and plenty of fiber. They always feel me up! That's a great blog, Gina! It's also great to be able to vary the recipe and it still comes out healthy and delicious!
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, I'm so glad you enjoy this recipe! I could eat this everyday, just changing it up here and there...you're right, it's filling and nutritious, too! Thanks for reading my posts! : )

    ReplyDelete